Southern Truck Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Trucks Of The O' So Dirty South

+6
onelozu
97_noma_dragger
DMAC
Popps
static_fronti
jcjcsoccerkid
10 posters

engine driven compressors

jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

engine driven compressors Empty engine driven compressors

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 pm

i've decided against using nitrogen...i'll wind up dropping a nut lifting the bottle up and down to fill it and re-mount it in the truck, plus as switch happy as i am it won't be very budget-friendly having to refill it all the time.

after a lot of reading (and it doesn't take much to convince you) i'm going to start piecing together an engine driven compressor setup. with this it's essentially an unlimited air supply, especially since i'll be adding a 2nd 5-gallon tank. i'll keep my viair 380 as a backup comp

from what i've seen, the york 210 seems to be easiest. the hardest part will be making a bracket for it. i know i'll have to get another belt, airline, a leader hose, another pressure switch, and some miscellaneous fittings.

if anyone has any insight please let me know. still in the research phase as of now. all ideas are welcome
    static_fronti
    static_fronti

engine driven compressors Empty Re: engine driven compressors

Post by static_fronti Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:53 pm

What would be the pricing difference between a regular cOmpressor and a belt driven? As in which would becheaper and last longer?
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm

a viair 380 is 200 bucks...

a york 210 can be had for 40 or so doll hairs from a junkyard...then you gotta buy a leader hose, more airline, check valve, another water trap, another belt, fittings, and get a custom bracket made.

i'm sure by the time i'm done gathering parts it will be around 200 for the engine driven. but you really should have an electric comp as a backup just in case.

as for longevity, i've rarely heard of a viair crapping out on somebody. they're very reliable comps. if the york is in good shape and you regularly check the oil in it, it should last a long time also. if you want peace of mind you could get a new york comp but it's more expensive
    Popps
    Popps

Post by Popps Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:59 pm

when ya wanna go to the junk yard...gotta a couple of things I need to get too......Get the compressor & we can build the bracket for it....aint hard
    DMAC
    DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Lol, seeing my nitrogen tank change your mind?
    97_noma_dragger
    97_noma_dragger

Post by 97_noma_dragger Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 pm

I've never liked nitrogen. I mean maybe for a truck that u are trailering to a show but as far as the way we drive ours nitrogen would be a horrible idea. I would like to go to the junk yard as well. I have a few things I'm looking for for my mini so just let me know when yall are ready.
    DMAC
    DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I need to go to a junk yard too. We should just make a group trip. Pop's will you help me make some mounts for both of my compressors to go under the truck.
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 pm

yea i need that compressor and a transmission. there's a u-pull it in bay st. louis and gulfport, we should def have a group trip to both of those.

and darby i went and got blakes nitro tank yesterday and i've been reading about setting it up and it will wind up being more trouble than it's worth. just gonna give that tank back to him and figure the EDC setup out
    Popps
    Popps

Post by Popps Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 am

Aaron...what you need a tranmission for........
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:44 am

cause when i'm shifting into/out of 5th or let off the gas in 5th it makes this sound...

KKKKKKSKSSTKTSTKSTKSKTKSTHASHHTHSTHHHHHHTHSHTKKKKKKKKGGGHGHHGKSHGHHSHHSH like metal grinding together
    Popps
    Popps

Post by Popps Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:07 am

that's not good....do some research & find out if the tranny in the '85 will work...if so i'll sell it to ya cheap after Last Resort
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am

na they're not the same...thank you though.

after talking to a guy from infamousnissan.com, it seems really simple to hook one of these up. i'll post up some more details later
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:55 pm

here's our whole convo for those interested in doing this. he has a york 210 but the intake is in the wrong spot so he had to do the "oil mod" so the oil doesn't spew out. he has a thread on infamous and that's what i was referring to when i asked the initial question.

jcjcsoccerkid wrote:hey man i saw how you kept your a/c with edc and that's the route that i wanna take.
    besides the york 210, what all will i need?

would i run a leader hose into a fitting into a big piece of airline back to the tank?

do i add a 2nd pressure switch to the system?

what type of check valve do i use for the edc and where do i put it?

could you also clarify how i know which one to get so i don't have to do the oil mod, like what the difference is in the looks of the comps. the oil mod doesn't seem hard, but if i can find the comp where i don't have to do that, it would be easier

thanks,

aaron

xmb63 wrote:You will need the edc, make a mounting bracket, a new belt (I found that the cloth ones last longer than the rubber ones), a check valve and a water trap.

I don't have a pressure switch on mine but you can run one.

You will want a compressor with the suction on the left side looking at it from the pulley.

The way mines ran is compressor to a piece of rubber air hose about 2 ft then to the water trap then to a piece of dot line back to the tank with the check valve mounted to the tank.

They pass a lot of oil I've seen people run a water trap under the hood and back at the tank before the check valve.

jcjcsoccerkid wrote:cool, thanks a lot. so the water trap will catch the oil also? if the oil does get into the system will it hurt anything? i already have a pressure switch in a T before my viair enters the tank, can you use the same one? and will the edc line have to go into a separate port than the viair?

xmb63 wrote:The water trap will catch the oil too, i think the little bit of oil that gets in the system actually helps keep the valves from sticking.

The pressure switch will work if you want the viairs and the edc running at the same time. Id run it on a seperate port but it would probably work with a t. The edc is so much faster than electric comps id just use the viairs as backups.

Out of the 5 cars I had air ride on they all had a edc but one and 2 electric comps take so much longer compared to the edc.

jcjcsoccerkid wrote:yea i was thinking maybe a little oil couldn't hurt. so do you recommend just one trap for the edc or were you saying to use two?

i definitely don't want to use both comps at the same time...i hate listening to electric comps and having to wait for them sucks a big one. how to i get the edc to disengage the clutch when the tank reaches the desired pressure? one of those pressure release valves?

and how hard is it to make the bracket to where it's adjustable and the pulleys align?

xmb63 wrote:I've always ran 1 trap. There is a electric clutch on it so when it hits the desired psi it releases. You can use a pressure switch to release it I run a switch on my dash to control it.

As for the bracket I didn't think it was too difficult to make.

As long as you keep oil in them they are pretty bullet proof. I've had mine up over 300 psi forgetting to shut it off on the highway.

jcjcsoccerkid wrote:so is there just 2 wires on the edc that you hook up to the pressure switch and that's all there is to it?

and if i decide against using a pressure switch, how do i hook a toggle switch to it? cause i definitely want to at least have that

xmb63 wrote:It's just one wire for power the compressor is the ground. I just have a toggle switch running to the power source but you could run it to the pressure switch if you choose to run one.

jcjcsoccerkid wrote:awesome, this doesn't seem very hard to do. does it take a specific type of oil? and where did you get the rubber air hose?

xmb63 wrote:Use 30 wt non detergent I get mine from napa. The rubber hose is like compressor hose half inch id I get it from the local hardware store. I use barb fittings with hose clamps. You can use a stainless leader hose but I've never had a problem with the rubber line and its far cheaper.

Last edited by jcjcsoccerkid on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

you can't run regular airline right from the compressor because of the heat...it will melt the line, just like on an electric compressor. he suggested using rubber air hose to save on cost, but i'm gonna run a viair leader hose from the comp to the water/oil trap (which will be under the hood) and then 1/2" airline out of that going all the way to back going thru a check valve and into the tank.
    onelozu
    onelozu

Post by onelozu Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 pm

i had an EDC in my zu,stupid fast! lol
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 pm

i can't wait
    Popps
    Popps

Post by Popps Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Yup got them on all my big trucks
    billdubby
    billdubby

Post by billdubby Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:08 pm

we tested one on my izusu went i had it filled a 5 gal tank 0 to 200 psi in like 30 sec
    jcjcsoccerkid
    jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 pm

hell yea that's stupid fast
    97_noma_dragger
    97_noma_dragger

Post by 97_noma_dragger Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Does an edc not rob power from the motor?
    DMAC
    DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm sure it does but, probably the same amount as an AC.
    97_noma_dragger
    97_noma_dragger

Post by 97_noma_dragger Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 pm

see my thing is a mini truck is already slow enough so to rob more from an engine is crazy. Just my opinion but my electric compressors are pretty fast anyway. Lol
    DMAC
    DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I am going with the electric. I like the EDC alot but, i want to just do 4 Electric compressors eventually.
    billdubby
    billdubby

Post by billdubby Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 pm

alot of compressors makes the alternator work harder... edc the way to go!!!!
    DMAC
    DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:40 pm

I have plans on getting a beast mode alternator though. I already have a batcap 4000 and a redtop

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am