Custom Trucks Of The O' So Dirty South

NissanXEPilot - BabyRuth - Under Destruction

NissanXEPilot

NissanXEPilot - BabyRuth - Under Destruction

Post by NissanXEPilot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

This is my 1995 Nissan Hardbody, I got it use from my father after getting shafted by my 2nd Ex-Wife. It was the family farm truck and was beat up with some neglect to the engine. Here is he original build up page

Currently I have my dash out and fiberglassing a 3 guage holders into it. The weather has hanpered my efforts so far, it's either been raining or snowing. Work at Nissan has been demanding too, I've been working quite a bit of overtime. here's the dash build shots I have so far.

Dash is out and all the ugly underneath is showing, amazing how much dust builds up under the dash.

One pristine dash ready to go undeder the knife

Here's a general idea of what I have in mind. I'll be adding a A/F guage, and moving the oil pressure and voltmeter guages from the A-Pillar to this location and doing away completely with the A-Pillar pod.

Used a dremel tool to make my cuts

2" PVC pipe is being use to hold the guages, the guages will with just a bit of play, a small strip of electrical tape will solve that problem and snug them up nicely.

fleece layed down and staple into place and ready for the fiberglass resin to be applied.

Here's the first 2 layers of fiberglass resin, and injection points I made to inject expanding foam in the cavitys where the guages mount. This will allows for some structure underneath, and hopefully reduce cracking and maybe even some sound dampening.

----------------

Here's progress on my dash. It's not complete, I put everything back in so I could drive the truck to Showfest '10. I got some great ideas and some advice so I plan on pulling everything out and finsihing it this week while I'm off from work. Wink

-----------

The dash is actually out again, bu I've run out of room to work because my brother has a fiberglass project going on, along with 3 sets of wheels stacked on the floor taking up precious real estate right now.
    static_fronti

Re: NissanXEPilot - BabyRuth - Under Destruction

Post by static_fronti on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice ride bro. Dash is lookin good

Post by dragkota on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 am

i like the box

DMAC
    Admin

Post by DMAC on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Did you build the box?

Post by jcjcsoccerkid on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 am

lookin good mike.

wheels in the way you say?? what lug pattern are they Very Happy
    NissanXEPilot

Post by NissanXEPilot on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah, I built the box, I'm probbaly gonna scrap it too. WHile it looks good it really dont sound that great, I could port it from underneath but now that I have the Sentra to cart the kids in I can put that space to use for a larger box.

The wheels are from an Infinity QX56, I had to bore them out to clear the hubs.
    Here's the How-to video I did if you wanna check it out.

jcjcsoccerkid

Post by jcjcsoccerkid on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

yea i know i was talkin about the other wheels that you said were in your way
    john

Post by john on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 am

NissanXEPilot wrote:This is my 1995 Nissan Hardbody, I got it use from my father after getting shafted by my 2nd Ex-Wife. It was the family farm truck and was beat up with some neglect to the engine. Here is he original build up page

Currently I have my dash out and fiberglassing a 3 guage holders into it. The weather has hanpered my efforts so far, it's either been raining or snowing. Work at Nissan has been demanding too, I've been working quite a bit of overtime. here's the dash build shots I have so far.

Dash is out and all the ugly underneath is showing, amazing how much dust builds up under the dash.

One pristine dash ready to go undeder the knife

Here's a general idea of what I have in mind. I'll be adding a A/F guage, and moving the oil pressure and voltmeter guages from the A-Pillar to this location and doing away completely with the A-Pillar pod.

Used a dremel tool to make my cuts

2" PVC pipe is being use to hold the guages, the guages will with just a bit of play, a small strip of electrical tape will solve that problem and snug them up nicely.

fleece layed down and staple into place and ready for the fiberglass resin to be applied.

Here's the first 2 layers of fiberglass resin, and injection points I made to inject expanding foam in the cavitys where the guages mount. This will allows for some structure underneath, and hopefully reduce cracking and maybe even some sound dampening.

----------------

Here's progress on my dash. It's not complete, I put everything back in so I could drive the truck to Showfest '10. I got some great ideas and some advice so I plan on pulling everything out and finsihing it this week while I'm off from work. Wink

-----------

The dash is actually out again, bu I've run out of room to work because my brother has a fiberglass project going on, along with 3 sets of wheels stacked on the floor taking up precious real estate right now.

how did u cut the holes out for the gages im lookin to fiber glass my dash and what all did u use if u can help me out thanks
    static_fronti

Post by static_fronti on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 am

I believe he used a dremel but you could prob use a jigsaw just as well

Post by NissanXEPilot on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm

how did u cut the holes out for the gages im lookin to fiber glass my dash and what all did u use if u can help me out thanks

Yeah, I used a dremil and basic cutting bit. The dash is plastic, so it's important to use a new, corse bit for cutting wood, plastic and light metal. A dull bit will do more melting that cutting.

This is my first attempt at fiberglassing a dash, and while this is fun, im seriously concidering trying again. Thank God for Pull-A-Part. LOL
    dragkota
    Admin

Post by dragkota on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm

it looks good man

john

Post by john on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 pm

well i ment what stuff did he ust like what fabrick and glass
    fatnlowtahoe504

Post by fatnlowtahoe504 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 pm

lookin good bud!
    NissanXEPilot

Post by NissanXEPilot on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I used 1/2 inch MDF for my speaker rings and floating supports. 3 rings were cut, one cut into 1/4 sections (those became the arched ribs at each corner of the box. I used fleece for my mat material and coated the whole deal in fiberglass resin. Sanded everything smooth, bondo'd where it needed it, I then glazed over with another coat of fiberglass resin, sanded smooth then painted with a basecoat of silver and Dupont Bubble Gum & Candy Blue mix

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content